Academic Records Management
Information Management Associates (IMA) has a specialty in academic records management. Mike Pemberton is an emeritus professor with 34 years in higher education both teaching (information sciences) and creating and improving records management in higher education institutions. See Academic Records Management Projects.
Records management is a resource management discipline. It offers a variety of asset-management benefits: protection (e.g., of privacy, data ownership, intellectual property); monitoring (e.g., auditing, due diligence, compliance); maintenance (e.g., storage, preservation, retention according to policy); documenting (e.g., past decisions and actions), and cost reduction.
Records management program benefits include:
- Control of the creation, volume, redundancy, and growth of records
- Reduction of operating costs through active management and intelligent outsourcing decisions
- Assimilation of emerging cost-effective records management technologies
- Ensuring legislative, regulatory compliance as well as other risk-management concerns, such as litigation
- Safeguarding the organization's vital information, including historical records
- Supporting enhanced performance and productivity of business processes
- Enabling quicker and better management decision making